Your site manager panel includes several options for asking custom questions of your volunteers. These options are available in the following areas:
- Site Settings (User Registration, Response Questions, and Hours Questions tabs)
- Initiatives area (in Volunteerism > Needs)
- Qualifications (in Volunteerism > Qualifications)
- Advanced Events (Agency Application Questions, Supplemental Need Questions, and Volunteer Questions tabs)
- Service Learning Module (Hours-Submission Questions)
This article provides an overview of the different types of questions you can ask, and it gives instructions on how to create each type of question.
Note: A separate article on qualification questions is available, as the setup for those questions is a little different from the setup provided in this article.
A question type really refers to the format of the answer you want to receive. There are four main types of answers you can collect in Get Connected.
- Volunteer types in an answer
- Volunteer is given a list of options and can select only one
- Volunteer is given a list of options and can select all that apply (not available in qualifications)
- Volunteer is able to upload a file (qualifications only)
To accommodate these types of answers, Get Connected offers six different question types, shown in the table below.
|Small text field||For open-ended questions; user types in a brief answer. Question appears inside the text box.|
|Large text field||For open-ended questions requiring an answer of more than a few words. Question appears above the text box.|
|Dropdown||Options shown in a dropdown list; user can select only one.|
|Radio button||User clicks a round "button" to select an option; can select only one.|
|Check box||User switches an option "on" to select it; can select all that apply.
Note: Check box questions cannot be marked as "required" and are not available for qualifications.
|File Upload||Available for qualifications only; volunteer uploads a file.|
Basic instructions for creating a custom question are provided below. See the article Question Types for Qualifications for more information on creating custom qualification questions.
To create a new question in Get Connected:
- Select a question type.
- Complete the fields provided, described below.
Field Description Export Label Enter a short version of the question. The export label shows up as the column header in reports and data exports. This is sometimes called the "title." (This fields does not apply for qualification questions.) Question Type the question as you want it to be displayed on the site. Field Options For dropdown, radio button, and check box questions, type the different options you want the user to choose from. Type one option per line; press Enter to go to a new line.
- If the question is to be required, mark the box to make it required.
Note: Check box questions cannot be marked as "required."
- Click Submit to save the question.
Important: To ensure that your data is uniform, try not to change a question once users have begun entering answers.