Once you’ve opened your Connect account, start making the most out of it by updating your user profile. Your profile page contains, at minimum, your basic contact information.
- Updating your causes, interests, and fanned agencies
- Sharing any benchmarks you've reached
- Editing your profile picture, password, contact and personal information, favorite agency, availability, and disaster profile
- Opting out of notifications
- Deactivating your Connect account
In addition, you'll find links for managing other areas accessed from your profile menu, such as My Teams, Qualifications, and Need Responses.
Your profile menu is located in the top right-hand corner of your Connect screen. To view it, click on your initials (or your profile picture, if you've already uploaded one, as shown here).
Note: This menu is only available for logged-in volunteers.
The profile menu may have the following selections, which appear as applicable. (For example, the User Groups selection only appears if you belong to a user group.)
|View Profile||The View Profile page includes your join date, total logged hours, volunteer resume, preferred causes and interests, fanned agencies, and activity feed. Note that you can click on any need or event listed in the activity feed to view it. In addition, you can edit your causes, interests, and fanned agency at any time from this page.|
|Edit Profile||Select Edit Profile to edit your profile picture, basic information, password, and disaster settings. You can also opt out of system emails or deactivate your account on this page. Click here to learn more about editing your profile.|
|Track Hours||Click this area to submit hours for volunteer work you've completed. You can also view your submitted hours on this page, as well as their statuses (pending, approved, denied, etc.). To learn more about logging hours, click here.|
|Volunteer Schedule||View your scheduled volunteer opportunities. Only those opportunities associated with a particular date will appear in the calendar. To learn more about your volunteer schedule, click here.|
|Qualifications||View or edit any pending qualifications questions you have answered, or any documents you have uploaded, to show that you are qualified to access or respond to certain needs. For more information about qualifications, click here.|
|Need Responses||This area shows all of your past need responses. Use this area to edit your responses, add hours, re-visit the need posting, check into/out of a need, or view the agency profile page of the agency that posted the need. Expired (past) needs are shown in faded text.|
|My Teams||The My Teams area is a place to manage the teams for which you are a team leader. If you are a member of a team but aren't the leader, you can use this area to email your team leader directly. Team leaders can view this article to learn more about managing their team.|
|My User Groups||Use this area to view your user groups. You can see what needs have been assigned to your user group, generate a user group report, and leave a group from this page. Click here to learn more about user groups.|
|Inbox||Select Inbox to view your in-app messages. In-app messages may include system notifications and mail blasts from your site's manager. You can also view your in-app messages by clicking the bell icon to the left of the profile menu.|
|Logout||Click to log out of your Connect site.|
Your Connect site can recommend volunteer opportunities based on your favorite causes, volunteer interests, and community organizations. It does this in several ways:
- Recommends opportunities for you in the "Suggested Needs" area of your volunteer dashboard.
- Recommends agencies for you in the "Recent Agencies" area of your volunteer dashboard.
- Sends a weekly email with information about new opportunities you may be interested in (based on your selections) that have been posted in the past week.
- On some sites, you may also receive a special email updating you on your fanned agencies' new needs and events.
To enter or update your causes, interests, or fanned agencies:
- From your profile menu, select View Profile.
- Click the applicable Manage button (Manage Causes, Manage Interests, or Add Agencies) on the My Profile page.
- On the page that follows, click on an item to select it. One you've made a selection, a border with a heart icon will appear around the selection. In this example, "Arts and Culture" has been selected.
- Click the Update button at the bottom of the page to save your changes.
Note: When clicking on a new agency to fan, you will be taken to the agency's profile page to fan the agency.
If your site uses benchmarks and awards badges based on your submitted volunteer hours, that information will show up in the a section of your My Profile page under a Benchmarks heading.
While you cannot edit your benchmarks, you can share them on social media. To do so, click on a benchmark, and then select to share on Facebook or Twitter.
Once Facebook or Twitter opens, follow the instructions provided to share your accomplishment!
To edit your other profile information, click Edit Profile from your profile menu. If you're already in your profile, you can click the Edit Profile heading.
From here, you can edit the following types of information:
- Your profile picture
- Your password
- Your basic information (including contact information, personal information, and favorite agency)
- Your availability (days and times of day you are available to volunteer)
- Your disaster profile (if applicable)
In addition, you can use this area for the following tasks:
- Opt out of automated notifications
- Indicate that you'd like to be contacted in the event of a disaster
- Deactivate your Get Connected account
Note: Your site manager has the option to remove certain profile fields for all volunteers. As a result, your profile page may not feature all of the items listed above.
To upload your picture (or replace a current picture), go to the Edit Profile area and click Upload Photo.
After selecting the photo, choose one of two options:
- Crop the photo (if needed) and click Save Profile Photo.
- If the photo does not need to be cropped (i.e., if you want the photo displayed as is), click Skip Crop and Save.
Note: Only image files (.jpg, .png, or .gif) are accepted. The image should be at least 540 x 540 pixels. If it is larger, Get Connected will adjust the image to fit the space.
To remove an uploaded photo, click remove. Click Yes to confirm the removal.
If you are logged into Get Connected and want to update your password:
- Go your Edit Profile area.
- Complete the fields under the Change Password heading, entering your current password once and your new password twice.
- Click Update Password.
Note: Passwords must be at least eight characters long and are not case-sensitive.
Note: Forgot your password? See Resetting Your Password to learn how to reset it.
To update your contact and personal information in Get Connected:
- Go to your Edit Profile area.
- Under the Basic Information heading, edit the applicable fields. Most fields are not required by default, though your site manager may opt to require fields as needed.
- Click Update Basic Information.
If your employer participates in a Dollars for Doers type of program, where your employer donates money to a nonprofit for each hour you volunteer there, select the nonprofit you wish to benefit. Note that adding a favorite agency is not the same thing as fanning an agency. If you wish to receive notifications about an agency's latest needs and events, you should fan the agency as explained here.
Once you have selected a favorite agency from the Favorite Agency dropdown, click Update Basic Information to add it to your profile.
Your availability information will show up in the email that is sent to an agency when you respond to one of its needs. This data is particularly helpful to agencies if you've responded to an ongoing need, or if they would like to reach out to volunteers who are available for a certain day.
Indicate your availability in the Availability area of your profile by going to your Edit Profile page and checking the boxes for the days and times you are available to volunteer. Click Update Availability to save your changes.
Note: Check Morning if you are available for needs starting between 6 a.m. and noon.; Afternoon for needs starting between noon and 6 p.m.; and Evening for needs that start after 6 p.m.
If you include availability in your profile, you may be contacted by your site's manager if there are upcoming needs and shifts scheduled for your available times. This may happen if not enough volunteers have signed up for the shift.
Note: If you are a student who has a new schedule each semester, or if you have a job where your shift schedule changes periodically, remember to update your volunteer availability accordingly.
If your Get Connected site includes the Disaster Response Module (DRM), you can provide important information for disaster response. The disaster response fields are part of your Edit Profile page. To access it:
- Go to your Edit Profile area.
- Complete the fields under the "Disaster Profile Information" heading. Fields are listed below.
Field Description Emergency Contact Name First and last name of an emergency contact Emergency Contact Phone Phone number of emergency contact Blood Type Select your blood type from the dropdown Notify By Text? Select Yes to give permission to send you a text message regarding disaster-related needs.
Note: If you select yes, be sure that your profile includes your mobile phone number.
Willing to Travel? Select Yes to indicate that you are willing to travel in response to disaster needs. Edit Skills & Services (button) Click the button to edit your skills and services. In the list of items provided, mark each one that applies. Attending training? If you select Yes, select the agency with which you attended training.
- Click Update Disaster Information.
Automated notifications are triggered by various actions in Get Connected; for example, if a volunteer responds to a need, two emails are sent automatically:
- An email to the volunteer thanks them for responding to the need.
- An email to the agency manager informs them that the volunteer has responded to the need.
If you do not want to receive notifications from Get Connected, you can opt out. To opt out of notifications:
- Go to your Edit Profile area.
- Scroll to the Settings heading at the bottom of the screen.
- Turn off the option to Receive system emails and messages.
- Click Update Settings.
Note: You can also turn off notifications from your email. When you receive an automated notification, the email will include a link to unsubscribe.
Note: Opting out of notifications does not prevent you from receiving the password reset email, should you need to reset your password.
Important: If you are an agency manager, you should not opt out of notifications unless there is another agency manager (either a primary or a secondary) who has taken responsibility of managing agency-manager emails.
A manager on your site has the ability to schedule you for a shift if you are available. If you do not want a manager to schedule you for shifts on your behalf, you can opt out of volunteer scheduling in the Settings area of your profile.
When a user deactivates their profile, they will receive an email containing a link to their volunteer résumé so that they can have a record of their service.
To deactivate your Get Connected account:
- Go to your Edit Profile area.
- Scroll to the Deactivate Account heading.
- Click Deactivate Account.
Note: Contact your system administrator if you wish to reactivate your account.