This article applies to site managers using version 2.0 of later of a Connect platform.
Depending on your level of comfort with online applications, you may want to add pages to your site in addition to the standard ones. For example, you might add a site FAQ list, post a volunteer form, or create a page featuring select needs or events.
This article covers the following topics:
- Custom pages: The volunteer perspective
- Accessing the custom-page management area
- Creating a custom page (includes information about page URL, other details, and options)
- Editing or deleting a custom page
The "look" of your custom page is unique, as it can include images, links, formatted text, etc., via the text editor. It uses the same formatting as the rest of your Connect site, but you control the content and can customize fonts, colors, and some other formatting elements.
To access your custom page, a volunteer will need the page's unique URL, which you can share with them via a spotlight, the image rotator, social media, email, etc. The URL itself is assigned by your Connect system and is based on the title you give the page when you create it. To learn more about the unique URL for a custom page you've created, click here.
To access the tools for adding a custom page to your site, go to your site manager panel and click Content > Custom Pages.
A table displays all of the custom pages on your site.
You have several options at this point:
- Create a new page
- View an existing page to see how a visitor to your site would see it
- Edit or delete an existing page
You can also rearrange the listing displayed in one of two ways: by clicking the sorting arrows at the top of each column, or by clicking the Order Pages button below the table.
To create a custom page:
- From your site manager panel, go to Content > Custom Pages.
- Click the Add New Page button above the table of custom pages that is displayed.
- In the Edit Page form that appears, complete all required and applicable fields. Fields are divided into two sections: one for page details, and one for Page Options.
Listed below are the fields available for providing page details.
Note: If setting up a redirect, most of these fields will not be available; see Custom Page Options below.
- Page Name – The Page Name you select determines the URL of your new page. For example, if you name a page About Us, Get Connected create the URL by adding /about-us/ to your site domain. For example, if your domain is getconnectedgreenville.org, the custom page URL would be getconnectedgreenville.org/about-us. This is a required field.
- Sub-Page Of – This field is useful if you are building various levels of web pages. For assistance, please contact us.
- Meta Title – Text entered here will at the top of the browser for this page. This is a required field.
- Meta Keywords – These are words that help to increase the visibility of the page in Google searches.
Note: Galaxy Digital adds a preformatted list of keywords to all pages.
- Meta Description – This is the description that is displayed on a search engine when the page is found in a search.
- Page Body – Use this space for your content. This is a required field.
Note: This section uses the Text Editor. Click here to learn about the various formatting options offered with this tool.
Use the Page Options fields as necessary to indicate the following:
- Type – The most common page type is Standard. Choose Redirect to have visitors redirected to another page when trying to access this page.
Note: If you select Redirect, you will only need to complete a Page Name field and a Redirect URL field in the page details. For Redirect URL, type the URL to which a user should be redirected when trying to access this custom page.
- Visibility - You can specify that only certain user types can view the custom page on the front end of the site. Options are Everyone, Manager (i.e., a Site Manager), and User (i.e., anyone with a Get Connected account, including agency managers).
- Page Form – Select a form from the dropdown list to add it to your custom page. In the example below, the page will contain the "Contact Information" form.
Note: In order to be a selection in the dropdown, the form must first be created in Content > Forms. Read more about creating forms here.
If you'd like assistance creating a custom page for your site, just let us know, and one of our Galactic Agents will be in touch with you soon!
To view a custom page as a visitor to your site would see it, click the link under the Location heading in the table of custom pages (Content > Custom Pages).
Tip: If you want to make a link to the page available to others, click to view the custom page, and then copy the URL in the address bar to your clipboard. You can then paste the URL into a social media post, a spotlight, a newsletter, etc.
Note: You can limit page visibility so that only certain levels of users can see it. See Custom Page Options below.
To edit or delete a custom page, click the applicable page link under the Page Name heading in the table of custom forms (Content > Custom Pages).
- To edit, make any changes necessary and click Submit Page.
- To delete, click the Delete Page button below the Page Body field.
Note: Each time you edit a page, the previous. version is saved in a Revisions table at the bottom of the page. You can restore an older version of a page at any time by clicking Restore this version.
When you delete a page, you also delete all associated revisions.