Note: This article's focus is on the next-generation Service Learning Module (SLM), released by Galaxy Digital in late 2017/early 2018. For information on the old version (Legacy SLM), click here. The SLM is an add-on module and is not part of a standard Connect platform. SLM features are only available to clients who have purchased the module.
Once you have found the right service opportunity for your course, you can submit a need response. Once you've responded to a need, you'll be able to monitor your progress toward your course goal, logging your volunteer hours as you complete the service work.
This article explains how to respond to a need, and how to ensure that your need response (and any hours submitted) are associated with a selected course and available to your course instructor. It also explains how to edit a need response, which could include changing the associate user group (course), switching shifts, or unregistering from a need.
The default term for a course on a Connect site is SLM User Group. Your site may use a different terms for both SLM and user group. If this is the case, your screen may not match what is shown in this article. The same is true for the default terms need and agency, which may appear as opportunity and organization (or something similar) on your site.
Once you've found the need(s) assigned to your course, you can submit a response. When you respond, the agency manager will be notified of your interest in volunteering with their agency.
To respond to a need as part of a course:
- Select the need you're interested in by clicking View Details to open the need-information page.
Note: If a need has been made privately available to your user group, you'll see a "lock" icon next to the title, as shown above.
- On the need-information page, click Respond, located on the right-hand side of your screen.
Note: Some needs may also have a Respond as Team option.
- If applicable, select the shift(s) you want to work.
- Under the Basic Information heading, select your course from the User Group dropdown.
Note: The dropdown will list all user groups that you belong to, even if they are not SLM user groups, and even if the need hasn't been assigned to them. Be careful to choose the correct course or group.
- Click Submit Need Response.
Once you've responded to a need, the Respond button changes to read Unregister (for non-shift needs) or Manage My Responses (for shift needs). See the following section for more on editing or deleting your need responses.
At some point you may find that you need to change the details of a need response. If this is case, you can do so from a couple of places, depending on what you need to change. Below you'll learn how to change the associated user group, change (or remove) a shift you've signed up for, and unregister from a need altogether.
If you selected the wrong user group when responding to a need, you can change that from your response-management area:
- From your profile menu, select Need Responses.
- In the table of your past need responses, find the response you wish to edit, and click Edit, located in the Options column. (Click image for a larger view.)
- Select the correct user group from the User Group dropdown on the Edit Response form.
- Click Update User Response.
To unregister from a volunteer opportunity you responded to previously:
- From your profile menu, go to Need Responses.
- Click on the need in the Volunteer Responses table.
- If the need is not a shift need, click the Unregister button, and then click Yes to confirm. If the need is a shift need, click Manage My Responses, and then clear the checkbox for the shift you responded to. Select a different shift if applicable, and then click Submit Need Response.
The agency manager will be notified when you unregister from a need.
Your SLM Student Guide contains additional articles on responding to needs, logging volunteer hours, and monitoring your progress toward your course's service-learning goals.