This article is for Connect platform site managers. For related articles, see Other Helpful Articles below.
You may want to periodically review volunteers' qualifications on your site. You may also want to keep a record of when certain qualifications (such as licenses or other certifications) expire so that you can remind volunteers to update them as needed. This article goes over the following topics:
- The various duration options that are available for qualifications
- What happens when a qualification expires
- How to see which volunteers have expired qualifications (includes information on emailing those volunteers and manually changing an "Expired" status as needed)
When creating or editing a qualification, you have the duration options of 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, and 3 years from the date the qualification answer was added to the user's profile (not from when the qualification was approved).
In addition, there is a Forever option (where there is no expiration date) and an Expiration Date option (where the volunteer must manually enter an expiration date). The Expiration Date option appears as a separate field for the volunteer who is completing a qualifications form:
Note: If you select Expiration Date, the volunteer will be required to enter an expiration date.
When a qualification expires, its status will be switched from Active to Expired. At this time, a notification is sent to the volunteer, letting them know of the change in status.
This notification template is titled, "Notice of Expired Qualification." You can learn more about it here.
To view which volunteers have expired qualifications on your site:
- Go to Volunteerism > Qualifications and click Approval.
- Under the Status tab, select Expired.
- All volunteers with expired qualifications are listed.
Note: Each qualification is shown in a separate row of the table, so volunteers with multiple expired qualifications will be listed more than once.
From this point, you can:
- Change the Expired status to something else; just click the Status dropdown for the qualification and select the updated status. (In most cases, you'll want the volunteer to update their qualification, which will result in it being pending, and you can approve it then.) Click here to learn more on manually changing a qualification's status.
- Email volunteers with expired qualifications by clicking the Email Users button. Click here to learn more.
- For more information on managing qualifications, see Managing Qualifications.
- If you are an agency manager who wants to assign a qualification to a need, see Assigning Qualifications to Needs.
- If you are a volunteer who needs to qualify for a volunteer opportunity, see Qualifying for Volunteer Opportunities.