This article is geared toward site managers. For more information on your agency's volunteer schedule, see this article.
Click here to view a video on volunteer scheduling for site managers.
The Responses area of your site manager panel includes a calendar that displays the shift needs (custom and recurring shifts) on your site, as well as the volunteers' responses. With this calendar, you can:
- click a link for easy access to needs and need responses
- see how many slots have been filled for a shift, and how many remain
- see which volunteers are likely to be available for shifts
- invite people to sign up for shifts that still need volunteers
- assign available volunteers to shifts
Note: The calendar displays shift needs only. It does not display happens on, runs until, or ongoing needs.
To access the calendar:
- Go to Volunteerism > Responses in your site manager panel.
- Click Schedule to view the calendar.
The calendar has two views: one to view the volunteers who are registered for shifts on a particular day, and another to view the shifts. Click the blue Show button on the right hand side of the page to change from the current view. (Click image for a larger view.)
Select a month from the Month dropdown to view a different month. Click the Filter dropdown to filter the calendar data by the shift's posting agency, its distance from a selected ZIP code, or by a phrase from its title or description.
The Show Users view lists all volunteers that are scheduled to work on a given day. If more than five users are listed for a single day, you can click the View More button to open a full listing.
Hover your cursor over a volunteer's name (don't click) to view the details of the shift.
Click on a name to be taken to the shift listing, where you can edit shift details as needed.
The Show Shifts view lists all shifts for each day in the calendar. If more than five shifts are scheduled on a single day, you can click the View More button to open a full listing.
Hover your cursor over a shift to see its details, including how many slots have been filled and how many are still available.
Click on a shift to view the responses, see a list of available volunteers for the shift, invite volunteers to register, or add available volunteers to a shift.
The table of responses lists all volunteers who have responded to the selected shift, including their name, email address, team (if applicable), and shift start time. (Click image for a larger view.)
From this table, you can:
- Click the volunteer's name to view their shift schedule (and edit it, if needed).
- Click the volunteer's email address to send them an email message.
- Edit or delete the volunteer's need response.
- Add volunteer hours, either for an individual or in bulk.
- Export the listed responses to a spreadsheet.
Click here to learn more about editing and deleting responses, adding hours, and exporting responses.
Note: You cannot add a new response from this area. To add a response, you can use the Available Volunteers list described below, or go back to Volunteerism > Responses and click to add a response.
When you click on a shift in the calendar, you'll also see a table of available volunteers. Here is an example (click image for a larger view):
This table displays volunteers who meet all of the following criteria:
- Their availability, as entered in their user profiles, indicates that they are available for the shift.
- They have not already responded to a shift that occurs at the same time.
- They have not opted out of scheduling in their user profiles (meaning they agree to let a site manager or agency manager schedule them for open volunteer slots).
Note: You can use the Table Filter to view (or hide) the volunteers' information, including their qualifications, their interests, and their user groups. You can also filter the columns by keyword, and you click the Hide First-Time Volunteers button to hide those volunteers who have not yet responded to a need on your site.
You can engage your volunteers for a shift in either of the following ways:
- Invite them to register for the shift. Mark the box next to each volunteer you want to invite, and then click the Invite Volunteers button. Once the invite has been sent, the checkbox turns into an "envelope" icon. (Click image for a larger view.)
- Register them for the shift. Click on the volunteer's name to view all of the shifts for the need. The current day's shift will be marked automatically. Select any additional shifts and a user group as applicable, and then click Submit Need Response.
Once a volunteer has been registered for a shift, they'll be notified by email in their in-app messaging inbox that they've been registered.
Volunteer Engagement: Automated Notifications
Volunteer invitations and scheduling from the areas described above will trigger the following automated notifications:
- Schedule Recruitment - Sent to a volunteer when a site manager (or agency manager) has used the Invite Volunteers button described above to let users know about an available shift.
- Schedule Assignment - Sent to a volunteer when a site manager (or agency manager) assigns them to one or more shifts. It includes a "message" area that provides the dates and times of the assigned shifts.
To learn more about the content of the notifications, see Shift-Scheduling Notifications.
Note: Both of these templates can be edited from your notifications-management area (Communication > Notifications). For more information, see Automated Notification Messages.